Resources - Tools to add to your Webmaster's Toolbox
Third-Party Usage Notes - Notes on using NOF with some third-party products
- SocksCap is a program which may assist in publishing a NOF site to a Proxy Server.
- Atomz.com is a free search engine service which you can use to add ‘search' capability to your website. This usage note is courtesy of Mike Thompson (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Compatibility Resources- Tools to help make your sites more cross-browser and cross-platform resiliant
- AOL Developer Central - http://webmaster.info.aol.com
Resources for developing for the AOL browser, including browser features and compatibiity
- WebTV Developer Central - http://developer.webtv.net
Resources for developing for this consumer-level web browser, including a WebTV "Viewer" simulator.
- Download every browser you can think of (and some you may not have) at http://www.browsers.com (thanks to Randy <email@example.com>
- Looking to port your site to/from the MacOS but running into the Mac OS 7.x and 8.0/8.01 problem with the "PC Exchange" control panel truncating long file names to 8.3? Try DOSMounter95 from Software Architechs (http://www.softarch.com)
- Charset Remover (http://www.bellacoola.com/downloads/charset.zip) parses the <CHARSET> HTML META tag which NOF 3.01 places on all pages, which can cause "double-loading" of pages in some browsers. Created and released by John Charlesworth and BellaCoola Software. This is a Perl program.
Image Resources - Making your pictures easier to manage
- Ignite - http://www.ignite-it.co.uk
"Very fast, very easy to use, great results, intelligently written and laid out, lots of options." (Thanks to Jeff Haas <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- ThumbsPlus - http://www.thumbsplus.com
Very useful for "squeezing down" NOF-generated graphics to their smallest possible size without losing image quality. Also very good for making (what else?) thumbnails.
- PhotoText - http://www.extensis.com/freephototext
A free PhotoShop plugin which offers PhotoShop 4 users the same (or similar) control over text in images that PhotoShop 5 offers (thanks to James Barron)
- Ulead's SmartSaver Pro - http://www.webutilities.com/products/SSPro/runme.htm
A very powerful image optimization tool, with batch processing capabilities to handle GIF, JPEG and PNG format. This is a retail product (thanks again to James Barron)
- ThumbsUp: http://club.coolmaps.com/component_detail.cfm?nfx=90
Thumbnails in Fusion have never been this easy! You drop an image on to a
page, size it as a small thumbnail graphic, and presto ... the thumbnail
graphic automatically links to a perfectly sized pop-up window.
- Webdata describes themselves as “an easy database program specifically for the worldwide web. It uses your web browser to add, modify, or delete entries into your database.”
- SafeShopper from FreeMerchant - http://www.freemerchant.com
"Free, fairly easy to configure secure storefront..." - Justin Kramp <email@example.com> Dansie Cart - http://www.dansie.net/cart.html - "...the author of Dansie Cart did an incredible job with helping me (get set up)..." (thanks to Josh <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- JShop - http://www.jshop.co.uk/
- Breakthrough Software's ShopZone - http://www.btsw.com
- has a 30 day trial which has all the functionality except for publishing, so you can get a feel for the program. (Thanks to Carroll Morgan - email@example.com and Team NetObjects member David Lewis)
- NetStores is a hosted eCommerce solution - build your "store" on their server and link it to your existing site - http://www.netstores.com (thanks to Adam Fishman - firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Everysoft's EveryAuction - http://www.everysoft.com/auction.html
Freeware Perl script - Now featured in the "Internet Auctions for Dummies" book! (thanks to Kman <email@example.com> and Bill Puetz <firstname.lastname@example.org>)
- Matt's Script Archive - http://www.scriptarchive.com
Home of FormMail (see our usage note in Third Party Usage Notes), as well as a number of other free CGI scripts. Also an excellent ‘jumping-off' point for additional CGI resources beyond this site.
- The CGI Resource - http://www.cgi-resources.com
The Grandaddy of them all. Another excellent ‘jumping-off' point in your exploration of CGI and what it can do.
- Fluid Dynamic - http://www.xav.com/scripts
A company that specializes in CGI and Perl scripts. Many free / shareware scripts for website tracking, hit counters and more!
- Need the PERL interpreter? You can download the latest version for UNIX, Windows, the MacOS (and others) from the ActivePerl site - http://www.perl.com
For installing PERL on a Microsoft IIS Server, take a look in the knowledge base at http://www.microsoft.com/support/resource.htm and search the IIS category for Perl. The solution you're looking for is Q150629 (thanks to Ed Mini (email@example.com)
Email List Resources
- Group-Mail - http://www.group-mail.com
"I use this one, it's awesome, threw away my store-bought software when I saw this" David Bell (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Better Letter - http://www.actcase.com
"Better Letter collects email addresses automatically, maintains them in a list, allows subscribers to automatically dubscribe or unsubscribe, and bulk sends your newsletter. And it all lives on your local machine, no CGI or nuttin.
Disadvantages: Doesn't collect anything except the subscriber's email address. Good for their privacy, not good for your demographical analysis". Dallas Lewis (email@example.com)
- Additional email list resources: http://www.efuse.com/Grow/emaillists.html
- Atomz.com - http://www.atomz.com
It's what I'm using here :) See their usage note for implementing Atomz.com search
- IntraSearch - http://www.whatuseek.com/intraSearch
"I have used IntraSearch and found good results. Whatuseek gets a brand on the page, but you can configure many viewing aspects and the (appearance of) the search box." Davis Kazdan (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Additional Web-Design Resources:
Additional HTML Resources